Sunday, June 9, 2019

Fjord Ev'ry Stream*



Hello from Bergen! Bergen is possibly the cutest town you could ever see and it is surrounded by absurdly gorgeous landscapes. 

I started in Bergen with a trip up the funicular for views (anticipated) and goats (unanticipated). There was also a bonus railing with a folk song!**


The next day I took trains and boats and buses to visit the fjords. The fjords are the reason I wanted to visit Norway because they always look so gosh darn beautiful. And they were. Truly. I took hundreds of pictures of slightly different angles of the same view and they still don't do it justice. Here are many, though, and if you're really a fan, come see me for many more.***










A trip to Norway wouldn't be complete without paying homage to Edvard Grieg, Norway's most famous composer. Grieg studied internationally but then returned to Norway and composed original melodies in the Norwegian folk song style. I visited his summer home, Troldhaugen, in Bergen and learned lots of things. Most notably, he was exactly 5 feet tall****, married his cousin*****, and also thought Bergen was too cold for the winters. There was even a piano recital of his works while I was there and it was the perfect send-off for the trip!




Now it is time to head home before returning to the southern end of this time zone. Thank you, Norway, you are too picturesque for words!
-KT

*Yes, I came to Norway to make this Sound of Music pun and had this title planned before I booked any hotels or made any plans beyond merely arriving.
**The caution tape is because it was freshly painted and is not a warning against sight-reading. Like I would ever go to a country that warned against sight-reading. Please.
***Or just scroll more. Really, I have hundreds, but thought I could spare some folks that couldn't a-fjord anymore.







****A GIANT, duh.
*****Ah, the 1860s, amirite?
Bonus un-related photo!
Norway is very anti-Evil Knievel-ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment